27 June 2006

pArTy cUlTuRe...



Me and Juran went to this 3 day techno party... 2 loud soundsystems in the middle of a forest in Sintra...we went with our tent to sell beer, cakes, crepes, pizza and pasta...but not only for that...we went there to serve, to take care and love those who spent 3 days partying, filling themselves with all sorts of drugs... from normal Hashish and Marijuana, to cocaine and MD and all sorts of hallucinogenic acids...
We arrived on friday night and set up our tent and we left on sunday evening...we worked 24 hours a day, taking turns when we needed some sleep...it was kind of hard to sleep with that music banging in our ears, but toward the end we could sleep anyhow, coz we were really tired...

Not only physically, but spiritually as well...we were all the time speaking with people, earring people or taking care of them when they were too burned out...we often took our blankets to cover those who would come to sleep in our mattresses in the middle of the night which was a bit cold and humid...we would make some coffee or tea for those who were in need to throw up or recover from too much drugs...and we often offered food to those who didn't have money to pay for it...and many times we offered water (which some were selling)...

In the end, it was like a shelter for those who needed some rest...
we also had nice conversations about God and how we were there without drinking alcohol or taking any drugs...people would even offer us, and for their surprise we would say no...
people obviously felt we were different and really respected that... a lot of those who got to spend most of the time there were always telling good about us to the others...

Of course we know what was making the difference in us... Jesus was there, and it was cool that they could see that :-)
I enjoyed the experience...not the whole scene and human self destruction, but the fact we could be there and serve those people... I only went 2 times before to this kind of parties, once in India and the other here in Portugal, but because I don't really like the music and I was not taking drugs, the only thing I did was sleeping :-) good for me !!!

If I was not there with the tent I guess I would do the same this time... But my spirit was pretty awake, and this time I could only sleep for the first time for a while on saturday night...
It was also nice to have the Borden's coming over on sunday...they live nearby actually, and they were going with some friends towards that direction...it was right on time coz we were running out of water to drink and cook, and we also needed more sugar and salt... God provided all the things... perfect !!!

In that evening we also asked the Borden's to go to their house and rest till next day , and it was sooooo good... it always feels good to go back home :-) ... I was also thinking at the party that most of those people don't really have a home to go back to...

most of them don't really have a family environment at their houses, or they live in squats (occupied houses) with friends... for most of them, "family" are those they meet from party to party...

How blessed I felt to go back to a real family... getting a big hug from mom Lisa when I arrived and seeing the sweetest smile from my little sister Heather...

We just arrived in the end of the game Portugal-Holland... I don't care about soccer anyway, but that felt like family as well...Byron shouting to the TV when Deco got the red card, Lisa going out for the last minutes coz she couldn't handle the pressure :-) ...the boys were out to watch the game with friends...Yah, now Jesse can drive :-)...
But I preferred to enjoy a nice hot shower and then some nice fresh food while the game was finishing :-) ... I don't get excited with much things , so I don't understand how soccer can move people like that... it's a bit funny for me to watch though :-)

7 comments:

lisa said...

such a nice post. still makes me smile all over to think of you there caring for people. you're the best, baba!

Anonymous said...

Barbara,

THX 4 going places and engaing people that most of us choose 2 not even know exist. THX 4 being a little Jesus up in Sintra!

Henna Hippie Mama said...

This is so awesome, girl. This brings back some memories before I decided to live for Christ. Of course, I would have been one of the ones you were serving :) This is one culture that has my heart wanting to reach to, for many reasons. I'm thankful for you and pray God will continue to shower blessings all over you.

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES..u are a light, u r salt...u r making a difference! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey chick,
I was totally blown away buy your blog entry. I used to live like that in a truck, from party to party in UK before the criminal justice bill came in. It reminded me of the kindness shown to me by a lady who had a teepee and she made drop scones (welsh cakes) and gave them to folks she also looked after me when I'd taken too much acid and was havin a bad one she just let me lay down on her sheep skins round her fire in her teepee. I didn't know Jesus then and don't even know if she did, but she saved me and I reakon you saved alot of people when they needed it. You touched them with the hands of Jesus like that lady touched me and his fingerprints remain. You rock chick. Thanks xxx

Baba said...

wow...you touched me now (anonimous last post)... and I can only say is not about me...but about Jesus...wow, it's no powerful when we just let Him be in us...I don't wanna take His glory on this :-) who am I anyway...
I'm glad you know Him now, and you can look back and realize how He was always arround you :-) He's so amazing and caring...
It was interesting that yesterday I was in an African festival here in Lisbon and guess what... 4 people who we met at that party showed up behind me and gave me a big hug...as if we knew each other for long time... I might see them again tonight :-)... things we can't explain, unless we realize is Jesus who is persuing them... May He use me to bless them again and somehow draw them closer to Jesus :-)
There's nothing better than knowing who He is and how He loves and cares for us us sooooooo much...
Thanks for your words !!!

menjadimanusia said...

It's marvelous that you touch those who are forgotten. You did what Jesus did to Zacheus and Mary Magdalene. Not many people have the guts to do it.

The righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me

Pray for me too that I could have the compassionate of the sheep and not being a goat at the end of the day.